PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who's working the traffic?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2016, 19:29
ATCO Fred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toadpool - what's the point of having the advantages of Mode S if you are not going to use the data to provide a better ATS or reduce controller workload.

If I see an ORCAN squawk north of Malby descending and I see from mode S its callsign is RRR2201 I know it's going to be working Brize. If I see an ORCAM Squawk north of Malby callsign N750GF (Gloucester resident) then I know Brize Lars are working it initially and then Gloucester if clear of brize traffic as it routes toward NERMO. If I see N843TE (Eclipse Jet Kemble maintain the UK Eclipse aircraft) on a ORGAM squawk north of Kemble climbing then I know that's climbing FL80 out of Kemble working Brize joining at Malby and if I see the selected level mode S indicate higher than FL80 then it's already talking to Sector 23 and been given a higher level to join CAS. Really. . . all of this is a no brainer and i'm struggling to see what your point is. All of this is deduced info and allows the controller to decide if co-ordination is needed or if it is better to just turn away.

When I was undergoing OJT any traffic leaving controlled airspace was given a unit code before exiting so that other units were made aware of its intentions.. You had to have a very good reason for not doing so.
This doesn't happen anymore. ORCAM squawks appear from all types of minor aerodromes with traffic flying VFR but looking to join CAS. Our arrivals remain on ORCAM squawks and our departures get airborne on this so the Squawk is picked up on the radars at Swanwick, processed and the flight-plan is auto DM'd

As I have said before I can forsee the time when any aircraft on a flight plan will be left on an ORCAM/CCAMS code whether it is inside controlled airspace or not. If every unit adopts this practice situational awareness for all units will be reduced.
As above - this happens now and it massively aids situational awareness as I know not to try and route above something that will climbing higher and probably just under a BS outside CAS until it enters.

You will also see that I said that ORCAM/CCAMS codes are "no better" than a 7000 squawk. This is because a 7000 code tells you that there is an aircraft there and it's level (if selected by the pilot). If you are unable to co-ordinate you need to try to avoid by 5nm/3000ft.
To a unit that is not working the traffic on an ORCAM/CCAMS code you may get more information via mode S, but it still does not tell you which unit is providing the service. Again, if you are unable to co-ordinate you need to try to avoid by 5nm/3000ft.
There are still some radar units that do not have access to mode S.
I'm afraid you are wrong here. A 7000 squawk is unvalidated and unverified and requires greater separation standards than an ORCAM squawk which is validated and verified. CAVEAT - not for one climbing out from a non radar equipped aerodrome.

But this is not about separation standards and co-ordination its about using all of the information available to make informed judgement on how the dynamic traffic situation is going to evolve. The you know when co-ordination is worth-while and when to do so would sap capacity and it is easier to just steer the traffic around.

As a said; happy to show this in use; it really is second nature when you can process all of the information at your fingertips.
Regards Fred