PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching and Sea Survival
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2016, 14:46
charliegolf

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
I was also trained to a similar standard to TOFO, and recognise all his points. All I would add is a caution about complacency regarding survival equipment. HAVING it is not going to save your life- you have to be current in its use, and to have treated it respectfully. For a start, it is, generally, not comfortable gear (unless it's changed a lot).

There is a salutory story of an 80s RAF jet pilot who found the attached socks on the legs of his goon suit uncomfortable. So he pressured the safety equipment people to (against the rules) fit rubber seals like the ones at the wrists. Ok so far... Then he found the rubber, er, rubbed his bare skin, so he began to wear the seals over his socks- he'd just need to tug up the seals to get them rubber to skin in an emergency. Sharp guys the zoomies, so no problem... When the big day came and he ejected over (I think) the North Sea, he got out safely, cleared his chute, but forgot the leg seals. He died of exposure due to wicking up the socks and onto his bunny suit. The shock TOFO refers too is real, and even in drills. He'd be alive if he had respected his kit over his comfort.

TOFO, remember that incident?

CG