PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What should I understand from "clear for straight in app"?
Old 9th Nov 2016, 13:00
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cak and ALBATROSS
On some airports you can have offset final app (Tokyo Haneda LDA 22 app or Nice 22) with 70 degrees difference between FINAL track and RWY track but you still perform straight-in app if you enter FINAL segment within +/-30.
And there are no different limits for different aircraft categories.
Thank you. What do you make out of what is quoted below?
a circling approach will be specified in those cases where terrain or
other constraints cause the final approach track alignment or descent gradient to fall outside the criteria for a straight-in approach’– ICAO Doc 8168 (PANS-OPS), Vol I,

Part I, Section 4, 1.2.3 – Types of approach.
The criteria qualifying a final approach as straight-in are provided in ICAO Doc 8168 (PANS-OPS), Vol II,Part I, Section 4, 5.2 – Alignment. This includes but is not restricted to an offset final approach track up to 5 degrees or the angle formed by the final approach track and the runway centre line not exceeding 30° for procedures restricted to Cat A and B aircraft and 15° for other aircraft categories.
In the light of PANS OPS above what you stated is erroneous and also unsafe. You should not be attempting straight in approach if the procedure final track is outside the criteria for straight in approach. Secondly if you are in IMC you have no option but be on final approach track of the procedure till visual and when visual you cannot be in a position to go straight in if final track of the procedure is 70 degrees off RW and you have no option but to circle to land. The second part of the PANS OPS clearly states that for CAT C it is within 15 degrees. What you track on finals is not the criteria but what is laid down as final track decides if straight in is permitted.

Last edited by vilas; 9th Nov 2016 at 13:19.