PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comments On Fairford 2003
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2003, 04:41
bear force one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like some of the others we have been attending (R)IAT for many yeasr and I cant remember it being so quiet before. I really miss the opportunity to photograph all those pushchairs, almost obscured by the pesky aircraft.

RIAT have always compared themselves to other family days out and guess this is what finally happens when you ignore enthusiasts. We always go to airshows and RIAT's are now THE event, a kind of airshow globalisation. We have to go because so many other excellent airshows have fallen by the wayside.

The General Public on the other hand can go to Alton Towers or Legoland or whatever. I understand the reason for the increased security but if I had four kids in tow and the choice between going straight to the candy floss or queuing for an hour to get an anal probe and see some jets I dont know the name of and all look the same, I'd pick Alton Towers too.

I read a very good review of RIAT 2001 which gave good and bad points to which the RIAT reply was "the majority enjoyed the show" and ignored the negative comments. The majority dont send in comments so dismissing the negatives out of hand shows a hefty arrogance on someones part.

Volunteers, as ever, keep the whole thing together and thanks as always to them.