PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Breitling contacts?
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2016, 04:36
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of years ago the political correctness police had a field day with Captain Greg 'Stiffy' McWherter. He was brought in as Skipper of the Blue Angels for a second time to restore morale after the former CO was relieved for safety reasons.

Among the damning allegations in an investigatory report about Boss McWherter's leadership was that Breitlings were purchased at a discount:

Hazing used to be common, and new arrivals were forced to wear “foam penis” hats. Pilots kept binoculars in their jets to ogle bikini-wearing women in air show crowds. Crew members for a time were allowed to buy custom-made Breitling watches at a cut-rate price of $500 — a fraction of their retail cost. The report didn’t specify who supplied the watches.
Navy pilots looking at women in bikinis with binoculars. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...499_story.html

I believe Breitling has made many Blue Angel logo watches over the years, several are on this page:

Breitling BLUE ANGELS Limited Edition

From what a former team member tells me a couple of decades ago Breitling supplied watches to the Blues at an even more nominal cost and the deal was verbally approved by CNATRA (not the singer, the Chief of Naval Air Training).