PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew ignored TCAS RA
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2016, 01:54
evansb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recalling the Uberlingen tragedy, years ago I attended an IFATCA conference where the subject of a seminar was an analysis of the Uberlingen mid-air collision. Using the Swiss Cheese (pun not intended) model of causation, my group's task was to determine the single incident that ultimately led up to the fatal collision. Several sessions involving hundreds controllers concluded the usual and predictable causes. Nothing really new was uncovered, but it was an informative exercise nonetheless. However my self and a Scottish controller were singled out as having the most correct and simultaneously useless answer to the question.

We both concluded that if the driver of the bus carrying the UNESCO committee passengers had NOT gotten lost enroute to the airport, the mid-air collision would not have occurred.

The answer was very correct, and very useless. Absolute truth is not always of absolute value.

P.S. No "millennials" were in authority at the time of the Uberlingen tragedy. When anyone singles out millennials or baby boomers or old folks or the younger generation, my eyes roll up so far into my head, enabling me to see old episodes of Heartbeat.

Last edited by evansb; 9th Nov 2016 at 02:04. Reason: up in to my head