PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What should I understand from "clear for straight in app"?
Old 8th Nov 2016, 09:20
ALBATROS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I understand from "clear for straight in app"?

Hello everybody,

The question may be simple for many of you but I have seen a lot of confusion due to this clearance that sometimes ATC gives you. Even, I found some flight instructor bloggers saying things that are not fully correct.

Regarding doc8168, there are two types of approaches: straight-in app that the final track should be within 30 degrees from the runway track, and the circle-to-land (circling) that the final track converge with the RWY track more than 30 degrees.

ICAO also says that maximum track for commencing the app is 90 degrees for precision app and 120 for NPA's. So I understand there is no need to do a procedure turn if you are within these limits.

So going back to the question, what should I understand from "clear for straight in app"?

I understand that ATC clear you for the straight-in and not for the circling app, usually both are depicted in the same chart.
But some people understand that you are clear for the approach directly without executing any procedure turn.

I wonder what ATC understand when the give you that clearance?