PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching and Sea Survival
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2016, 13:52
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^

You have a 100% chance of getting wrapped up in wet parachute, followed by a 100% chance of a slap from the instructor. It wasn't really a realistic drill, just part of the process of making you think calmly in the water, what ever you are facing.

I was jerked backwards off the stern of a RAF Marine Craft Vessel by a Gemini at 10-15 knots, the idea being to simulate landing under a chute in a strong wind conditions. I was rigged up in a Canberra harness, and the dispatcher had miss-routed it.

You had to adopt a stable position (on your back, legs splayed, chin on chest to create a breathing space under the bow wave coming over your head) and then count to 10. No 10 count, fail - do it again.

On the count of 10 I hit the QRF and promptly got dragged by a trapped arm at 15 knots face first through the oggin. To my pride, I got free without assistance and without stopping the drill - that's the benefit of quality training.

I like the discussion above...GA are a very mixed bag. Some are incredibly professional and some not so much. But then you all know that. It's more the latter this is aimed at.