PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which modular school to choose ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2016, 13:36
Alex Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be aware that there are a large number of unemployed pilots in Europe still, and empirical evidence seems to suggest these are ryanair's 'unemployables'. If you look at the Learmount article you will see that the fail point is not technical skill - 'Can I fly an ILS?' - but soft skills such as situational awareness, communication, operation as part of a team, etc. Some people have these skills naturally or as result of their upbringing or life experience, others need to be taught them. You may have an idea now whether you have them or not.

In the airline world these are known as 'competencies', and the training system that develops them is 'competency based training'. The aim is to produce not just pilots but functional first officers and captains. There are some very good ATOs that train along these lines, many that ignore them completely and a whole range in between. An FTO's reputation is a guide to their ability to deliver these skills but only a guide because many 'well recommended' FTOs ignore them completely. You will see competency based training most as you get closer to the airlines, MCC/JOC and type ratings, but this is how the airline will assess you. In early training your chosen FTO may not help you much with this but you can help yourself.

In the end the decision has to be yours but I would say:
  • Integrated or modular makes no difference, there are good and bad in both camps.
  • An English speaking FTO would be an advantage for you but it doesn't have to be in England. Your written English is very good.
  • An English language groundschool would be good value - I'll say no more about this as I run an English groundschool, however others are available. I don't think a French language ATPL course would help you half as much as you would learn aviation French, not aviation English. 'Le badin' etc...
  • Don't write off low price Eastern or southern European FTOs for flying courses. Some are very good at what they do and incredibly cheap by UK/French standards.
  • Research research research. Do not be convinced by glossy websites.
  • Work on your soft skills, learn how to communicate effectively, be part of a team, build life experience.

Just out of interest, we are involved with selection for the Wings Alliance, they have a similar fail rate to Ryanair's, also mainly for soft skills. There are many technical hurdles to overcome as you go through flying training, PPL, ground exams, skills test, IR, but you won't get a job on the basis of your technical skill. Everyone with a license (in theory) has those same technical skills, you will be employed on the basis of soft skills.

Last edited by Alex Whittingham; 7th Nov 2016 at 13:54.