PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching and Sea Survival
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2016, 08:47
cyclic35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
English Channel

Originally Posted by The Old Fat One

But first, my qualification to talk on this subject.

In 1985 I trained, and was successfully assessed, as an RAF Combat Survival Instructor. The course was at RAF Mountbatten (Plymouth – now shut) and the sea element involved being thrown, projected and launched into the English Channel in mid-winter, in rough seas, day and night in most of the RAF’s various types of survival equipment. Plus, we were subjected to some funky swimming pools drills (at Culdrose) like navigating out from underneath a water-logged parachute…blindfolded (you follow a seam to the middle and out the other side). From then until 2003, I supervised sea drills for the Nimrod force, both in the pool and in the Moray Firth, and carried our survival checks for all aircrew as part of their 18 month checks.

So in my professional opinion if someone brags (is there any other word?) of flying 25 feet above breeding whales in a biplane, on national radio I think they are doing an enormous disservice to the cause of flight safety.

By the way, you know what flies above whales at 25 feet…seagulls, hundreds of the **** ers.

All comments, discussion and corrections more than welcome. No ego’s here…this stuff matters.

PS If you fly over water without a flotation device, then your impending death, will in Darwinian terms, be to the long term benefit of the human race.
My Sea Survival Training Certificate is dated 26th June 1974 at Mount Batten.
Although before your time, thank you.

Not exactly Mid Winter, but being thrown into the choppy waters of the Channel was quite unique.

From personal experience, the information you have provided will be of great value to others in the future.

Last edited by cyclic35; 7th Nov 2016 at 08:56. Reason: Date Change