PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2016, 17:13
SecondDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mart901
EWR - what a shame. My only hope is the executive will enter into a tendering process like the LDY-LON one. Also its been mentioned UA leaving due to poor financial performance on the route, I believe they have never stated this and that it is profitable, however I know from the travel industry contacts I have the take up of business class is nowhere near enough.

BHX

Latest from EZY, discontinued for time being.
I realise that there was some support during that last ditch effort from Stormont (but moreso from Westminster) but that was too little too late and the deal was not disguised correctly to get it past the EC competition rules. The fault lies with the complacent approach by our devolved administration, who do not seem to understand the aviation market and the particular challenges we face in having a competitor with a land border. My hope is that now we seem to have a bit of purchase within the executive (you have to give it to the MD for shaking them up on that front) we might be able to get them to focus on some semblence of a strategy to attract airlines here.

That DUB is lightyears ahead is because they did this a long time ago and enjoy unrivalled state support through all the appropriate channels.

I think any trans atlantic service may have to err toward the low cost market but so be it.

In terms of the effect it has on BFS, ironically enough it probably doesn't hurt the airport too much from a financial standpoint considering they are not having to subsidise the flight any longer to the tune of 3 million. It is more about the loss of face and with it the loss of ability to attract other carriers that will be the problem.

Lets hope our politicians can be cajoled into a bit of action.