PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dad never said much about the war when he came back.
Old 5th Nov 2016, 03:50
oldpax

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad joined underage in the Northumberland fusiliers,sent to France and ended up outside Metz.When the Nazis started their "Blitzkrieg"they were caught napping and started the retreat to Dunkirk.Dad complained that they were left behind but got back by boat from further down the coast .Sent home on leave and then sent to Blackpool to recieve new equipment and of on a troopship to north africa where he was captured at Tobruk.Sent by boat to Italy and on to Germany and POW for the rest of the war.His older brother was a POW in changi(hated the japanese and would not have anything "made in Japan in the house"!Another brother was RN(he left the local dredger for the RN and it was sunk by mine the day after).Younger brother was in Korea!My mother and aunt were in the aux fire service and I was in the RAF !!Dad only ever spoke about this when the "man from the Pru"came with his superintendant who had been in the Cheshire regt and dad and he had been virtually next to each other all the way through the war!!!!Danny 42c,all the family are from Amble!!!