PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Change of government needed for electric air race?
Old 5th Nov 2016, 03:44
dhavillandpilot

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sitting in my office looking at one of my prize possessions, an original 1934 London to Melbourne air race map with contestants ruled out with dates as they withdrew from the race.

All you people who think an all electric race won't progress aviation have little forethought or imagination.

The winners of the 1934 race was Douglas and to a lesser extent Boeing. For Douglas it proved that a stock standard DC 2 the Dutch Univer could complete such a flight with little fan fare. Similarly the Boeing 247 with col. roscoe Turner did the same.

And what was the progression, a faster and more comfortable flight from Europe thru to Asia and Australia

Now progress to 2019 and what would be the advantage, simple the cost of General Aviation flying.

I fully support Dick in his endeavours to get this off the ground. Why Turnbull cannot show some spine and simply support this idea escapes me. Even if the Commonwealth put up a prize of $1,000,000 this would be chicken feed in comparison to the publicity it would generate.

This country is now lead by spineless politicians who are only interested in self rather than country.

Sorry for the rant but I fought idiots all my life