PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So close, yet so far: Class 1 medical, Crohns Disease & eyesight
Old 4th Nov 2016, 14:25
Mickey Kaye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mickey.

> I'm 30.

Age is good if you have KC then the rate of progressions slows and effectively stops by the age of 40. With the angle of your astigmatism not being oblique it does increase the likely hood of it being regular astigmatism. However as there is treatment to stop KC progressing it worth getting it confirmed.

The Optom really should be able to give you an idea if you have KC or not. If its forme fruste then it can be a bit trickier but still

The visual standards are on the CAA website and here and its an excellent reference source.

www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Visual/Visual-system-guidance-material-GM/

> He put the 6/6 line up on the screen that I struggled with again. The two middle letters I struggled with again

However there are visual acuity charts and they are visual acuity charts.If the lights a little brighter or the chart is 6 inches closer then you will perform differently on one chart compared to others. Also numerous opticians use 3 meter space saving charts and then apply a fudge factor to make it 6 meters.

However the charts the CAA used to use at Gatwick were perfect. Spot on light levels and also at exactly 6 meters. Hence Ive come across people who have met the standard at the opticians but they are not judge and jury and have not met the standard when tested the CAA.

> Mickey, can I ask, if I were to have a PPL (with a class 2 medical - which I can pass) would my CPL class 1 examination then be a renewal/revalidation or would it be an initial.

I can only comment from a refraction point of view (as I have no experience in relation to the criteria that they apply with respect to VA) but in the past they have applied the re-validation requirements towards refractive error in PPL holders who hold a Class 2 medical.

I for instance have 2.75 dioptres of astigmatism and hold a class 1 medical and I know others who have gone via the PPL/Class 2 route as well.