PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth (EGPT) Thanks
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2016, 14:01
airwave45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perth (EGPT) Thanks

Last weekend while helping out with the UK Junior Gliding event at Portmoak, I had need to divert to Perth.
Portmaok had clagged in with 300' cloudbase and I had one of the "Juniors" flying in the back of the glider so it seemed sensible to find somewhere close by to land out.
We were at 6500' when Portmoak became unusable so Perth was an easy glide in.

Having never previously landed a glider at a non gliding establishment I was a little wary about pitching up unannounced but was on a genuine weather divert.

The guys at Perth could not possibly have been more welcoming, Pete in the Tower gave clear instruction as to what runway was in use, helped out with likely suitable parking and made me aware of traffic in circuit.

Once off the runway a guy came out from the tower to assist and helped with ensuring the glider was not in anyone's way.

The following day when I arrived with a Robin to tow out, we were allowed sole use of 27 whilst we footered around to get away, we were loaned a truck to tow the glider, a couple of guys from the flying school came out and helped us tow off.

I'm hugely impressed by how nice and welcoming everyone was, I'm very grateful for all the assistance and time / patience extended towards us.

Many many thanks guys it was an absolute pleasure dropping in past.
You are a great advert for GA in Scotland.

Roy.

Last edited by airwave45; 4th Nov 2016 at 14:04. Reason: spelling mistooks