PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do PPL ground exams have to be sat at the same school you're training at?
Old 4th Nov 2016, 13:12
The_Pink_Panther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JJ1999,

"... training at ... probably one of the most expensive in the country"
"there are other schools nearby".

I'm assuming there are very good reasons behind why you don't make the obvious action of moving to one of the other cheaper nearby schools.

Playing devil's advocate; if they are the most expensive, your £20 x 9 isn't going to buy you any lessons, singular lesson at best. Another consideration is, will it be worth the extra fuel to travel to the other places, and depending how your flight training school is going to feel about it, (and whether they will levy a small admin charge to process the paperwork) whether it's worth the aggravation.

Fortunately for me, my school were fine with it, (albeit about 4 years ago now), I get the impression that some schools frown on it, and can make it awkward. Your school could ask you to fly an extra hour to demonstrate that you can execute the navigation plan you did for that paper, or some such scenario, and then you're back to where you started, and have a less cordial relationship with your school.

I'm not "buying or selling", just trying to give you another view on what you may want to consider.

Here's why I'm taking the time to respond and make you think:

A colleague of mine saved "thousands" learning to fly in the US. Once he'd added in the actual cost of flights to the US, accommodation, it wasn't "thousands", but was still a good saving, and a quicker route.
Once back in the UK, he was told by the club he wanted to join that he'd need to demonstrate good airmanship to one of their instructors before being allowed to rent their aircraft. I assured him this was normal, but the school was a little honest and said, based on the last few US trained PPLs, it could be anything between 4-8 hours before being signed off (I'm probably opening a different can of worms there).

He went to a different flying club nearby, only to be told again that they would want a check flight to see how he flew before agreeing to rent to him.

Not wanting to burn the cash he'd saved, he decided to buy into a syndicate. "Sooooo, you've got a shinny new licence, you've never flow in UK airspace, and you want to fly our aircraft". Last I heard, he was looking for somewhere to get "some hours" or he wouldn't be able to re-validate based on hours flown.

TPP