PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions regarding Sikorsky S-70 SAS
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2016, 21:49
Vee1.rotate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much to all of you for your answers!

Most of it has become clearer now for me.Especially thanks Mixing_Lever for the many links with study material. It has helped getting a better understanding/overview of things .

Shy Torque and Jack Carson, since you both seem to have some on-type experience may I ask you again the one thing that still is not clear to me from reading the material (sorry probably its just me being dumb):

Does the SAS compensate for torque-induced yaw moments or do you have to counter it with the pedals?
I mean,for example during take off, can you raise the collective without simultaneous pedal input and still maintain constant heading?

Most links I read seem to agree that the SAS' purpose is to provide dynamic / short-term stability in the pitch/roll/yaw axes by countering disturbances and smoothening out pilot inputs.

However does the torque-induced yaw moment count as a disturbance in this context?

Thats still not entirely clear to me. One of Mixing_lever's links mentioned specifically mentions that the system prevents "fish-tailing" in the yaw axis. Does this refer to torque related yawing movements or is fishtailing something else in helicopter speech context?

Thank you very much again for all your answers and explanations!

Kind regards,

V1R