PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FD distraction danger during Go Around
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2016, 12:59
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Back in 1966, several RAAF pilots were sent to Avro's at Woodford Cheshire to undergo a type rating course on the VIP version HS 748 and ferry two aircraft back to Australia.

I believe Collins had a deal with Hawker Siddeley to installed FD 108's into the 748. In my view, you didn't need a FD in a 748 because it was a slow turbo-prop. Others disagreed though and loved flicking the switches. So we were sent to Weybridge for a one day course on the FD108. I think we spent about two hours in a classroom lectured by smooth talking white coated sales people and were showered in pretty brochures including how you could do 45 degree automatic intercepts of an ILS.

We were then given a wonderful free lunch by the Collins Reps including free grog at a local pub. After this long lunch we asked about the remainder of the FD 108 course and were told we had successfully completed the course and I have a vague idea we were presented with a Certificate of Completion.

I think I flew about 700 hours on the HS 748 and never used the FD. I will never forget that lunch and the subsequent hang over, though