PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways flight diverted to YVR after passengers suffer smoke inhalation
Old 3rd Nov 2016, 11:34
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original question
Originally Posted by JammedStab
Quick question...why would the crew don their O2 masks if there is a "obnoxious smell" in the back? Isn't the smell way in the back. Why O2 masks?

Answer to question
Originally Posted by Intrance
I'm sure that you could have figured this out, but it's a 'better safe than sorry' thing .

Obnoxious smell with an unknown cause can be a symptom of a larger problem that may not contain itself to the rear while you are still airborne, so why risk it?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I did figure it out. Wouldn't your answer apply in exactly the same manner when it comes to diverting to Calgary instead of overflying and going to Vancouver due to passenger handling issues.

Seems we have a case of using masks(and all its difficulties) due to a concern that there is a significant possibility of things getting bad but overflying an excellent airport due to convenience. But, perhaps it was known that the obnoxious fumes were definitely not fire related. Still, as a pax, I want fresh air soon and I would like to be on the ground safely sooner rather than an hour of potentially toxic fumes later.