PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin recruiting soon...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2016, 11:23
Kerosine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is exactly how I felt prior to flying and perhaps for the first 4 years as a first officer, I couldn't see what the rush was. Now after 5 years+ I'm getting the itch.

You have to remember that whilst it's a fantastic job it is procedural for 99% of the time and after a few years you'll feel very competent and comfortable in your role (though not complacent of course!). You spend a lot of time sat next to some great captains, see the decisions being made, how the day is run, the responsibility and all that comes with it, and you might wonder if you can do it too. That's where the bug bites and once you start to think about it seriously it becomes a major consideration for some.

For me, looking to command within 18 months, jumping to VS to start at the bottom is a question of whether the lifestyle/LH vs SH is worth giving up a command at my current airline.

Another factor: you have to remember as well that almost all airlines are based on seniority not experience, so lets imagine it's 10 years to command, and on your 9th year the airline goes bust. Where will you end up? Bottom of another airline's seniority list and pay scale (probably).

Once you have your command with a year or two under your belt, you're in a much better position. You have more choice when browsing your pilot jobs websites and your CV has that all important PIC time.

That being said, I'm speaking from the perspective of having been an FO for 5 years and looking at another 10 in the RHS, but if you're coming in fresh from an FTO I don't think it would be a problem for most.

Edit: Yep, what "Jonnyknoxville" said!

Last edited by Kerosine; 3rd Nov 2016 at 18:19.