PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 21:01
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuc,

A bit of a long reply. Again my apologies to those who started this ATC glider fleet thread.

You know that I agree with your analysis and I have enormous respect for the amount of detailed evidence you've managed to lever out of the MoD. Yes, The VSOs concerned should be exposed and, I fully agree that 'the MoD' (you'll see why i have put those quote marks there) don't actually accept that they have a problem.

I also agree that the MAA's basic premise, built on Haddon-Cave's faulty conclusions, and further twists since then by the MoD, is misguided. In short, again to avoid boring the pants of those who want to read about ATC glider stuff, the MAA's approach has been to rewrite the regulations for managing airworthiness. As you so ably point out, the direction they've taken misses the key elements of configuration control, and actually adds little value to maintaining airworthiness.

Again, as you've shown, the problem was never the regulations. It was (and remains) the fact that the MoD and (in this case) the RAF simply aren't applying the rules they've been given.

Here's where, on this issue at least, we probably part company. But only on matters of emphasis, and I certainly don't wish to reduce the importance of your points. If anything is to happen about this scandal, I am of the opinion that starting 30 years ago isn't going to get the attention the scandal deserves. So where would I start?

I'd keep it simple. The RAF has demonstrably failed to keep the simplest possible fleet of military aircraft airworthy. In doing so, they may have put school children at risk. And wasted millions. This problem probably started in the late 90s, and continued until 2014. At least ten years. The reason? Simple failure to implement mandated regulations that either went undetected or encouraged. Who was responsible? Just like an account investigation - start at the grounding, and work back.

I sincerely hope you don't take this as criticism, and I urge you to keep fighting. But I honestly feel that in this case, a direct approach at the point of failure would yield better results. However, this is, as ever, an open thread, and all the above is really no more than my opinion. Other opinions are at least equal, and most probably better.

Best regards as ever to all those working for truth, however they do it.

Engines

PS: I realise that i've rather 'hogged' this thread over the last day or so, so i'll step back and let others have their say. I apologise if I crowded anyone else out.

Last edited by Engines; 2nd Nov 2016 at 22:09. Reason: Adding PS.