PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2016, 20:23
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
I think Engines’ proposal would be fine if there was general acceptance in MoD that (a) the problem exists, and (b) what caused it. There isn’t. The MAA consciously took the wrong turning in 2010 and have never looked back.

So, if any submission is to be made to, for example, try to force an investigation or even inquiry, I think it should start by setting the scene. In part, this is necessary because Haddon-Cave knowingly placed the wrong date on the beginning of systemic failings, by claiming 1998. He was given actual papers demonstrating otherwise. Therefore, he and his report are part of the problem and need exposing at every turn.

My proposal would be to start with a simple paragraph reiterating three factual events.

• AMSO promulgated a policy in 1987 that resulted in astronomical waste beyond the imagination of most here.
  • In the following years, compensatory savings were made (at the expense of safety) throughout aircraft support budgets. The example I always use is that which affected me directly (and is closely related to what Engines speaks of on SHAR). That is, AMSO’s successors attacked the direct airworthiness budget to the tune of 28% per year; compounded by the DTI aviation index and inflation bringing the real term cut nearer 40%. In my opinion, they would have been better rescinding the policy.
  • Sitting astride this from 1991-1994 was the RAF Chief Engineer, ACM Alcock, who became double hatted as AML in 1994, replacing AMSO. (That is, it is unfair to say ACM Alcock introduced the cuts, but he certainly knew of them and condoned them, because he was one of only two addressees on the 1992 CHART report which noted the 1992 cut and the effect it was having – which was actively concealed until uncovered during the MoK Review in 2010).
Finish the paragraph by including a Reference to the submission to Lord Philip that (a) explained this in detail, and (b) provided the actual documents; which MoD denied the existence of. (Believe me, Lord Philip was not impressed when he had to ask non-MoD civilians to supply MoD policy documents).

There, simple: now start with the stuff specific to Air Cadet gliding, because the failings are directly traceable to these three events. But if one does not explain this history every time, MoD/MAA will continue trying to re-write it with the help of tame QCs and the promise of knighthoods.