PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take Off Distance
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2001, 04:30
mustafagander

Unhappy

Lucky Angel,
I think you'll find that the screen height at the end of the TODA is 35ft.

Just to clarify, the distances for the same take off are TODA-Take Off Dist Avbl, used in the all eng/1 eng inop go case, TORA-Take Off Run Avbl, used in the all eng/1 eng inop go case and ASDA-Accel Stop Dist Avbl, used in the RTO case.

TORA is the physical length of the runway avbl.

TODA can include clearway up to a defined length.

ASDA can include any stopway avbl.

Clearway is an obstruction-free area over which you can fly to achieve screen height, e.g. water.

Stopway is a surface on which you can finish stopping in the event of RTO. You may damage the surface and/or be unable to taxi off stopway e.g. grass overrun areas.

Obviously you must be airbourne by the start of clearway or stopway.

Magic Blue,
At Vr there may not be much runway left at all.

Unlike 411A, I am a "believer" in the performance calculations. Given that the actual conditions match those for which the calculations are derived, you WILL stop at V1. Remember, almost none of us has ever done a max energy stop in the a/c. When I was a performance engineer in a previous incarnation Boeing convinced me. Then I saw a pal do a full-on RTO from V1 and it worked well. The runway was field length limited for the weight, but they stopped about 250ft prior the end - about the margin reverse gives. The brakes (on a B747 classic) were welded in about 5 minutes, but they stopped.

[This message has been edited by mustafagander (edited 19 February 2001).]