PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2016, 23:52
SpazSinbad

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'Lonewolf 50' I do not see the need to attack reporters when I do not know the circumstances. Seck would not be the first to exaggerate and likely it was HER first time on a ship at sea in any kind of swell - however I do not know. And I'm tired of having to say again what my experience in the RAN FAA has been - some forty odd years ago now.

[Addition: As a Cadet Midshipman around mid 1966 (along with Dave Ramsay ['ramsdog' to all & sundry] later an exchange SHAR pilot with RNFAA for a few years) we boarded HMAS Melbourne by workboat with a bunch of others in Jervis Bay via a cargo net climb up to somewhere or other - quarter deck perhaps?). Anyway Dave knew the way to goofers so we both were able to watch a Sea Venom land on; then flying was cancelled due to worsening weather. Unable to disembark by work boat our Cadet Middies were offloaded by Iroquois back to the 'quarterdeck' at RANC (HMAS Creswell) where I had joined the RAN as a new 17 year old at beginning of that year; but did not graduate - went to the RAN FAA instead for a total of 9.5 years in - damn that Venom Pilot and Damn that Iroquois ride - it all looked TOO EASY to my then ignorant young eyes. :-) ]

Directly to answer in mid 1967 I spent 3 months plus onboard HMAS Anzac (then a training destroyer) with my first days at sea circling a cyclone with Force 6 sea states - I was as sick as a dog along with most of the new Midshipmen onboard. Then I had about 6 months at sea total with VF-805 flying the now venerable A4Gs - mostly blue water ops with no tanker (only four A4Gs onboard HMAS Melbourne in late 1971/early 1972) in the Pacific, except night flying we had a divert - six A4Gs are still flying today with DRAKEN USA (via upgrading to KAHU status with the RNZAF). What is your experience?

Earlier posts (if not here) at least on previous post from LM indicate some DT-III goals:
"...The plan for DT-III is fairly straightforward: expand the shipboard operating envelope to full operational capability. This requires the team to expand night operations, high-winds and-high sea states as well as test a variety of internal and external stores loads...."

F-35 NEWS Sep 2016 Combat Aircraft Magazine
"...Testing continues to evaluate the F-35B’s ability to carry asymmetric external loads in flight. The tests are designed to ensure that the fighter can operate safely while carrying a 1,000lb (454kg) store under one wing but not the other. Testing has already been conducted in non-crosswind conditions and is now being carried out in stronger crosswinds that might be experienced at sea. The latest round of land-based weapons testing is the final hurdle that the Lightning II must clear before it embarks aboard the USS America (LHA 6) for at-sea developmental testing phase 3 (DT-3) in October 2016. DT-3 is the last of three at-sea testing periods that will ultimately allow the US Marine Corps’ F-35Bs to deploy aboard US Navy amphibious assault ships. The F-35B is currently limited to crosswinds of 15kt during vertical landings. DT-3 will evaluate the aircraft’s ability to operate safely in conditions up to sea state 6, which translates as equivalent to wave heights of 13-20ft (4-6m). The DT-3 tests will involve the use of two instrumented F-35Bs...."
Source: Combat Aircraft Magazine September 2016 Volume 17 Number 9

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 2nd Nov 2016 at 02:51. Reason: add article & + additional text + RAMSDOG