PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So close, yet so far: Class 1 medical, Crohns Disease & eyesight
Old 1st Nov 2016, 22:14
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
My bold. Here is an example of one problem causing another AND altering your career path.

A common cause of amblyopia is the inability of one eye to focus as well as the other one. Amblyopia can occur when one eye is more nearsighted, more farsighted, or has more astigmatism.
https://nei.nih.gov/health/amblyopia

Here's what I'd do.

1. Try going about simple daily tasks with the best eye covered up. In the old days you'd see several kids at school like this.

2. Ask your GP if you could have a small quantity of Valium (diazepam) Stress it's for diagnostic purposes only.

Pick a time when you don't have any critical duties but can put your eyesight to a test. I think, if there's been a change, the law provides for you having another free eye test. Have the test about an hour after taking the drug. Advise the optician of the plan as the timing will be fairly critical. Get someone to drive you there. Despite you probably not being able to tell the difference, you may have an all too great feeling of wellbeing. Not wise when driving.

Treat Valium with the greatest respect, and NEVER take it because it makes you feel good. i.e. relieves the stresses of these tests - that's not the plan. What it could well do is relax the muscles causing those changes.

If you were the subject of a scientific experiment, all variables would have to be removed to get pure results. Spasm in the extra or intra ocular muscles may well be slewing the eyesight results. There may well be a 'white coat' factor causing just this.

Benzodiazepines are extraordinarily good as a relaxant in cases like this, and it's strange, because once you find what's causing this distortion it's often as though the brain knows the game's up and the muscle doesn't go into spasm as frequently, if ever.

But again, treat that drug as something that could have side effects - for example, leave you very bad tempered after it wears off. It was deemed a drug that was emptying psychiatric establishments in the late 60's but later found to be causing terrible social problems when people started relying on them.

I've just remebered, I was given one to take the morning before my eye operation. I thought it funny they'd think that would calm me for back of the eye surgery under a local anaesthetic but it occurs to me they would have wanted to relax the very muscles I'm talking about.