PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John and Martha King
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2003, 07:12
Chief galah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope John and Martha can explain to me how NAS Stage 3, characteristic 7, works safely. i.e.
...establishment of communications with ATC constitutes a clearance (Class C and D CTRs).
Where I work, it can be demonstrated regularly and on a daily basis, that establishing intelligible communications on first contact with pop-up VFR's is far from the norm. The interpretation of this procedure is going to be by far the most hazardous NAS change. It is going to affect all major CTR's as per Stage 3, characteristic 11 where
Class C airspace will exist in TMA's associated with Cairns, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Darwin and Perth.
So it appears that some priority is offered to a VFR flight that pops up at the CTR boundary, even though he is under the continuously used flight path of passenger planes, that have flight planned, and are operating under a IFR clearances designed to provide separation, having paid a reasonable amount for the service.
The slightest mis-interpretation of the first communication means the non flight planned, non paying VFR popup is in the CTR without anyone having a schmick of an idea about what he's doing, or where he's going.

Which leads me to Stage 4, charateristic 9.
Class B airspace may be established at Australia's busiest airports.
Not trying to offend anyone here, but I can only imagine that Sydney, then perhaps Melbourne and Brisbane qualify. The others will have there busy times I'm sure, but are they in line for B status?
Once Class B is established, goodbye VFR's. All traffic is separated, so VFR's, "line up here outside the zone for your clearance", (and to quote an old instructor from the ATC college) "there'll be a three day delay."
At the moment Class C CTR rules offer the best balance of controlled separation and safety for IFR's, and traffic freedom for VFR's.
The proposed changes will be detrimental for all ops no matter which way they go.

I hope J & M can explain this to me.

Will anyone be at the Melbourne forum?

CG