PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Retention
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2016, 17:39
staircase

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting to read all this. I say interesting, because I am comparing it to my own experiences 40 years ago. (yeah I know – boring old to**er!)

I joined in 1968 and left in 1982, after PVR in 1978 and having to do 3 and a bit years before they would let me go on mutually agreeable terms.

After the application to PVR, I was summoned to talk to a Group Captain in Barnwood. I sat in his office for an hour whilst he listened to what I had to say. Most of what I said could be a précis of what I have read in these posts. When I had finished he said;

‘ may I sum up what you have said as poor leadership, bad management and over tasking?’ I could not have been the only one since soon after that I heard that the Robson Report was instigated.

Now what I said to him was my opinion, and I must say that some of my colleagues went on to their 16/38 point and thoroughly enjoyed it. In other words if you enjoy the life stay, and if you don’t do something about it. The mistake it seems to me is to regard what you said at the OASC as gospel. You change, get married and have kids, and the defence vote and task change, and therefore the job changes. Remember if the facts change then change your mind. A lot of people seem to equate it as joining the priesthood.

I left and started to look for an airline job at 32, just after Laker went broke, and in the midst of Thatcher’s recession. Most found it difficult to get a job cleaning aeroplanes, never mind flying them.

As a result I ended up flying night mails for less then I was getting as a Flt Lt. That company went broke, as did the Air taxi company, and Dan Air that I subsequently worked for. I did however enjoy airline work. I was no longer an Officer in a military service first, I was a pilot first and foremost, and every time I went to work I made the company I was working for money. I found that satisfying.

But know this, airline work has its draw backs. Sure, I never had to do time on long detachments, but with an airline you work when the public want to fly. That means flying Bank Holidays, weekends, Christmas and New Year, and just try and get any meaningful summer leave. In other words when your wife and kids would like you to be at home, then you are going to work. I also note that my flying hours as a charter pilot were 35% night shifts. That is flying all night, and then trying to sleep in a house with the kids on school holidays.

Then there is the roster problem. I mentioned over tasking as a reason to leave the service. Well in 35 years and 5 companies I never had one that did not run on an absolute minimum of crew. That means roster disruption and what the service would call over tasking. One aeroplane tech, one ATC strike, or one pilot sick then your diary for the next few days or weeks is toast.

Retired 7 years now, and all in the past but I would not have changed any of it, not even the Service bit. Before you decide to leave however remember about airline flying;

‘If you got paid as much as the mother in law thinks you get paid, got as much time off as the neighbours think you get off, and sleep with as many as the ladies working in the back as her in doors thinks you did, then it is a bloody good job.’