PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So close, yet so far: Class 1 medical, Crohns Disease & eyesight
Old 1st Nov 2016, 11:49
AlexJT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys.

Two absolutely brilliant replies, thank you!

So, lets first talk what the two eyetests showed, first one in Jul 2016, second one Oct 2016.

July -

.............. SPH CYL AXIS
Right eye -0.75 -2.50 x 90
Left Eye -0.50 -2.25 x 105

Oct -

Right eye -0.75 -3.00 x 90
Left Eye -0.50 -2.75 x 105

So as you can see, its the 'CYL' figure that has changed.

In between these two specsavers eye examinations, I had my Class 1 medical at Brookdale. Although the paperwork I received isn't quite legible (optometrists writing), he too found my eyesight to be different. Bear in mind, this was the first test we did on the day, after a 2 hour drive, with the incorrect prescription!

Right eye -0.75 -2.75 x 97
Left Eye -0.50 -3.25 x 106

His paperwork states Amblyopia 6/9 Bilaterally
Best corrected - unfit.

I received an email from the Chief AME on the day stating that I had been declared unfit due to Amblyopia.

At the AME test, I was extremely close to reading the 6/6 (20/20) line, and was even closer when I had the second Specsavers eyetest. I was reading 75-80% of the different 6/6 lines correctly. And the ones I was getting wrong were letters like A's and H's, F's and P's.

I've just picked up the updated lenses from my opticians yesterday and already feel like my eyes are relaxed more and straining less.

I have printed a Med 162 form which can be used as part of my appeal to the CAA I understand. To me, being so close, I feel it is worth every effort to achieve this.

Really looking forward to your replies.

Thanks for your help so far.