PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Retention
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2016, 09:28
Professor Plum

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Fj2me,

Your idle musings are actually very similar to my idle musings/gripes.

Your Branson quote I think is spot on. And after all, he knows a thing or two about running companies and managing people. I'd rather listen to him than some twerp who got promoted not because he was good at his primary job, but because he was camped outside his bosses office, shamelessly butt snorkelling and organised the mess Xmas bash.

I'm finding that increasing amounts of triv are getting in the way of my primary job. Being patronised during d&i training, or having a regt cpl blow a gasket because I've had the nerve to call a rifle a gun, or something equally unimportant just p!sses me off.

It makes me think "do I get paid enough for this?" So I look elsewhere. There are plenty of jobs where I can go to work. Fly. Go home. I don't have to worry about being on some idiots naughty list because I haven't done yet another dle course (because I've been too busy doing my job!).

Would I have the same job satisfaction? Don't know.

The thing is, for me money does talk. I do understand that everyone's different though.

For me more money would mean I can buy my kids more awesome Christmas presents. That will make them happy. That makes me happy too. My wife can buy shoes willy nilly (she does anyway, but we might be able to afford it). That will make her happy. That makes me happy too. I can buy a bigger house. Go on nicer holidays (and without worrying about it being cancelled last minute because someone has got a twisted sock (again!) and can't deploy). All of this makes my family happy.

I might not enjoy my job as much, but it's not all about me. It's about my family. In my situation, money does talk.

If I end up flying drunks to the latest party beach as a capt in 10 years time on a 6 figure salary maybe I won't enjoy the job as much (I actually really enjoy RAF flying), but I'll still be flying. There are probably people reading this thread wondering what on earth we are moaning about. People who would love to fly but can't. I thank my lucky stars that I'm a pilot, and I would consider it a privilege to still be in a position to work for an airline in 10 years time.

I think every job has a "price" attached to it. I.e. What would you need to pay me to do this job? All compared with the skills I have and what job I think I can get. Whether it's airlines, RAF pilot, mc donalds, prostitute, portaloo cleaner.

Portaloo cleaner for example, the figure (for me) would be 6 figures. I doubt Anyone would pay me that much so that's a no go.

Mc Donald's don't pay enough either. So that's a no go.

Airlines are paying more than my minimum "price" so that is a goer.

The RAF are now starting to pay less than my minimum price to do that particular job.

That's just me though, I guess everyone's different.