PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-Force Deterrent Targets
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2016, 08:58
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Given missile flight time from Eastern Europe/USSR to the UK - wouldn't that only have given crews a maximum three to four minutes to get to the aircraft (even if in caravans beside the runway), power up, taxi out (no air traffic control clearance needed) and stream take off - then try and get clear of the blast zone of the warheads that would surely hit their airfield? Wouldn't it be virtually certain that the tail end of the stream would end up being taken out in an air-burst (or several airbursts if multiple warheads were assigned to targets?
For aircraft on the ORP they would be on the telescramble from Bomber Command, any ATC facility was merely backup.

Any generation and scramble from main base, before dispersal, would be the least desirable from a survival point of view but least escalatory before that.

Did pilots use full military power to get as far away from the airfield as possible to mitigate this possibility?
No, we used Combat power IIRC which on the Mk 2 - 301 engines delivered around 103% power.

I learnt recently that it was likely that a missile launch would be in sequence from all sites so that they would not arrive simultaneously. This would give distant dispersals such as St Mawgan, Brawdy, Ballykelly, a significant advantage in survivability.

From Readiness 02 the first aircraft would probably be airborne in around 40 seconds, the second 55 and the 4th in 90 seconds. Assuming the validity of a 4 minute warning (more a media sound bite) the last aircraft could be 12 miles or more away from the airfield. However missile accuracy was such then that distance from the burst might vary between 7 and 17 miles.