PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin MPL 2017
Thread: Virgin MPL 2017
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2016, 21:47
Argen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post Joined pprune because I want to apply for VA's CPC program too.

However, this thread has mostly made me not want to apply. As a 29 y/o who worked his ass off and now is getting 52k/year from a comfy London IT job... telling my wife I'm gonna go to train for 2 years and only make 24k/year when I get out.... will be a deal breaker

I was clearly wrong in thinking that being a pilot was a very well paid job (at least for the first 10 years). In my current career path, I'll be at 75k+ in 5 years, no longer does this makes financial sense.

Hear me out, I'm just being real here, because I want to fly for the love of flying, not because of the money. But if it's really only 24k/year to take home (£1,623 cash - source), how is this realistic for working 35 hours a week for people not living with their parents? A buddy of mine just got a Linux admin job with minimal experience... starts at 40k/year! Something not right here.

Maybe I got this all wrong, but talking about this with real numbers, crumbs, this kinda sucks.

BUT... flying an A330 for Virgin does make it sound totally worth it, man, the bragging rights ALONE are worth it:
- How was your week?
- "Set up a few servers, you?"
- Hum, well I flew a sexy A330 with 260+ folk to NZ, spent a few days travelling around NZ, then flew back.
- "... you suck."