PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paved runways at RAF Lossiemouth
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2016, 10:54
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Although not an answer for you, the North/South short runway was certainly in use in 1944, as the following tale relates.
8 Sqn formed at Kinloss with AEW Shackletons, with the intention of moving to Lossiemouth once the RN moved out. As such our second line servicing was set up there straight away, and we had to ferry ac back and forth. Almost as soon as the RAF took control they decided to resurface the two main runways, leaving just the short (3000ft give or take) 01/36 runway available. I was tasked to take an ac over with a very experienced co pilot, as it was a bit short even for a very light Shack. As we turned downwind, my co started reminiscing about his time on the Halifax OCU in 1944, and his last approach to 01. As we turned finals he went quite quiet, so the inevitable question was what happened? About 200 ft he finally answered - 'I crashed - I was this high then as well!'
No chance of landing as the whole crew dissolved into laughter, so after an overshoot and a much lower approach we got in quite happily.