PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cheap housing in Wan Chai for the single pilot in HKG
Old 31st Oct 2016, 09:43
Busdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tsimbelt. I don't think you were here in those heady days of the early B Scale. I was, and I can tell you that pilots left in droves within the first year or so. I personally know several who rejoined their countries' militaries, a few who left to Air Canada and many who left to British Airways and Virgin. Technically you may be right with the word "most", but don't underestimate the "many" that left. When COS '94 was introduced, the A Scalers were given a sign or be fired 25% pay cut, and the B Scalers were given a 25% pay rise.
Most of the guys who were hired in those days were 30 plus year old men with masses of previous heavy or fast jet time, generally with families. The younger men and women only started joining a few years later. Now we're getting kids as young as 18. The present conditions offered by the company are well suited to them, but not to anyone with family. But yet, they still come and then complain about the conditions under which they joined.