PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing at Maralinga (YMRA)?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2016, 00:53
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've flown into Maralinga. Its a typical "wartime" cookie cutter airstrip. Its about 2km long and 30m wide (single strip). Its very good condition asphalt, but its not rated, so the Government could never land heavy (ie King Air or business jets) there.

The runway is used for water collection for drinking water for the "township". Its completely bunded and runoff goes to a series of settling ponds. Therefore they are sensitive about what happens on the runway.

When I flew in, it was still managed by the department of science. The last caretakers were Leon & Diane Ashton, who occasionally now fill in at William Creek. I needed permission from the Area Administrator of Woomera plus the Dept of Science. Maralinga is "landlocked" in Maralinga Tjarutja tribe land. It is not possible to drive there without permission from the tribe. The main road maintenance was by the mailman who dragged an arrangement of old tyres each fortnightly trip to try and keep the road surface smooth. The road conditiona are variable.

Since then it has been handed back to the Maralinga Tjarutja tribe. Part of the contract is that they make the site available to tourists. However, they took many years to do this and for many years Maralinga was vacant with no caretaker. I believe it now has a caretaker again and is accessible.

Most of the buildings have been sold in successive "clean ups" over the years. There are only a couple of the original (heritage listed) prefab corrugated aluminium buildings that were shipped from England to establish the village. When we were there the caretakers stayed in what was the hospital. We stayed in "modern" mining camp style dongas.

Nearly all of Maralinga has a lower background radiation level than Adelaide. There is a small area that is not recommended for long term exposure. Maralinga overall is extraordinarily beautiful. Nothing like you would expect. Plains of long grass, groves of Quandong trees and lots of wildflowers. It has one of the only roads that Len Beadell make that was not straight. There is a kink in the road where it goes around Tietkins well. If you don't know about Tietkins - google him. If he had dug wells about 50km North, he would have struck the Great Artesian Basin and changed the history of inland Australia.

Do not expect ANY services at Maralinga. Power is diesel generated. Water is collected from the runway, put through settling ponds then stored in prefab aluminium paneled water towers with rubber bladders (which gives the water a rubber tainted flavour). There is no phone coverage, no local vehicles, nothing. And any accommodation & catering facilities will be at the grace of the Maralinga Tjajuta tribe.

The Maralinga Tjajuta tribe office in in Ceduna. I used to deal with them regularly. Sometimes they were good to deal with, prompt & helpful and other times a complete nightmare. Goodluck.