PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Retention
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2016, 16:27
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Reading between the lines here (and quite possibly coming to the wrong conclusion, if so please advise), it strikes me that the big change is in the Powers of a Subordinate Commander, as it used to be styled. The ability to make things happen, and make them happen quickly if required, meant that a boss could sort out a compassionate situation within a few hours.

Such happened while I was away down the route. My wife's father died at home in Peru, her brother sent a telegram from the USA saying that he would book both of them MIA-LIM if she could make it for the flight. With no way of replying (no phones!) she walked down to the Guardroom from our Hullavington OMQ and poured out her heart to the duty RAFP Corporal. He in turn contacts my boss (at 0700!) who contacts BN to reserve her a seat on the midday Washington flight, contacts his Flt Cdr to tell him to run the Sqn UFN, piles into his mini, scoops up wife and hastily packed suitcase, and sets off at alarming speed for BN. They just make it, she's last aboard and the door closes behind her for departure. He then drives to the Sqn at LYN, contacts BDLS at Washington, requesting she be met and taken between the Washington airports for her flight to MIA. All goes to plan, she meets brother, and they fly to LIM...

Meanwhile, boss realises I know nothing of all this, sends signal to Lajes relating brief synopsis and will meet me on arrival LYN. He does so, first aboard and asking anxiously if I had received his signal and was it OK with me (ie wife now on way to Peru!)? I reassure him and indeed thank him for all his efforts. Wife eventually returns and we go together to thank him again and present him with a stuffed Llama which is received in a dubious but polite manner...

Now, this sort of thing didn't happen every day of course, but word got around like wild fire nonetheless. Boss's points go up several notches as all realise that next time it could be them he's looking out for. I'm told that all this is centralised these days by various desks and offices, which defeats the whole point. As stated before, the RAF is your Sqn/Unit/Wing etc, with appropriate support from outside the Station gates. If the boss can do nothing except put requests through channels then it is no longer he that is seen to be resolving (or not) the issue. The bean counters have removed his authority and hence his ability to maintain morale. They know the price of everything and the value of nothing...