PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FD distraction danger during Go Around
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2016, 14:57
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lantern & GC: Total agreement with your earlier post, and that's how I teach. Sadly the 2 year F/O's who came out of the puppy mill and are now SFI's just regurgitate what they were taught. The downward spiral of ignorance is spinning.
One great demo of this is on takeoff. Everyone tells you they will rotate to 15, but they always chase the FD. If they have excess power, slow rotation or late rotation the speed will be higher than optimum & FD's will be above 15. Up they go to the FD 18 degrees, speed reduces, FD's pitch down , then up, then down and eventually settles at OMG 15 degrees. Repeat the exercise and stop at 15 as briefed and lo & behold the FD decides you are smarter than it thought you were and comes to meet you. Job done.
The FD (B737) needs to sense an error and will then give a direction to correct it. If you ignore it the deflection will increase. It's an attention getter that gives you a clue in which direction to adjust what you are doing. It is not an absolute attitude commander. It suggests slightly more or less attitude to achieve the desired task.
There's not enough teaching to look through the FD. What is taught, by rote, is "follow the FD if it is correct; if it is not then reprogram or turn it off". Question: how do you know it is correct unless you scan the basic parameters of the performance instruments that feed into the FD computer, and that involves basic attitude? Guys are not taught how to decide if it's correct. First they should do a session of no-FD G/H. Then they will understand how the a/c behaves and flys. Sadly that is not done these days. Tosh! Students have tunnel vision.

Lantern: Ref 2nd post. IMHO that's correct, but a little simplistic. The industry is being fed by cadets from MPA courses. They are influenced by how they are taught & guided. It will be the habits that are instilled in them from day 1 of JOC/MCC/TR courses that will shape their habits and attitudes. It will be the guidance and discipline of the instructors and not all of them will be of 'the right stuff'.