PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF Lancaster location
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2016, 11:39
Wensleydale

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I think that I may be in a minority of one, but is it a good idea to get Just Jane back into the air at the moment? We already have a flying Lancaster in the Country, and surely it would make sense to keep Jane for future upgrade should anything happen to the BBMF Lanc.

Secondly, Jane makes a great deal of money for the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at East Kirkby...if she is airworthy again, then will she stay at East Kirkby, or will she have to move to another airfield? ...I don't see the sense in flying a valuable Lancaster off a short grass airstrip. She currently has treaded tyres which would throw much rubbish into the undercarriage bay during take-off and landing, and the smooth early tyres are no longer available. Even if she does fly from East Kirkby, then public access to her must be affected. Taxi rides must surely be followed by full FOD checks for loose articles that may have been dropped by the paying public? Its one thing to ask customers to remove all loose items from pockets etc, but like the use of mobile phones in the Cinema, there's always some bright spark who knows better. The result must surely be a very limited public access on the ground when compared to current access. Perhaps the plan is to fly paying members of the public to help funding? Well good look with the CAA if that is tried.

My bottom line - as much as my heart says that getting a second Lancaster into flying condition is a good thing, my head says that perhaps now is not the best time to do it.