PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA CLARC Incompetency
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2016, 07:04
Lead Balloon

Received 419 Likes on 209 Posts
There are some really great people in [this government] organisation who get things done sensibly and efficiently. There are also a number of boat anchors of which I've observed Australian Public Service HR policies seemingly designed to protect their boat anchor ways of... dragging the boat for no good reason.
That would be typical of most organisations, cattletruck, private sector and public sector.

However, the substantial differences include that in the private sector the 'boat anchors' cause one or both of two things to happen:

1. The boat anchors get sacked.

2. The boat anchors cause the employer to go broke and shut down, as a consequence of stuffing too many customers around and losing business to competitors.

Alas, CASA has no competitors, other than "I've had enough of this and I'm out". And some of the things that are being done by the "really great people who get things done sensibly and efficiently" in CASA, don't actually contribute thing one to the safety of air navigation. Think Part 61 and Class 2 medical certification. CASA drives the processes that produce the rules that necessitate the bureaucratic processes that require the bureaucrats, some of whom are "really great people" and some of whom are "boat anchors". It's a self-licking ice cream.

The 'boat anchors' consequently have a far greater and chronic negative impact than they would have in the private sector.

Get rid of the pointless rules and regulatory micro-management and you get rid of the pointless processes, as well as save the costs of the people and reduce the amount of mess and stress caused by the 'boat anchors'.