PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson helicopters added to safety watchlist
Old 30th Oct 2016, 02:23
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the first time this has come up:

NTSB Report on R-22 Accidents
Old news. SFAR 73 has changed things dramatically for the better since then.

https://disciplesofflight.com/sfar-7...r-in-aviation/

More helicopters = more accidents.
More students = more accidents.

Least expensive to buy, least expensive to fly, and, one has to admit, leaving aside stability and margin, the R44 has an enviable set of performance characteristics. This puts a lot of such helicopters into operation by the least experienced segment of the pilot population, both student, recreational and "light" commercial.

Grounding the Robinson fleet would help the stat's because there would be a a) huge reduction in helicopter operations worldwide, and b) a large population of less experienced pilots would no longer be able to afford to fly. The same could be said of grounding every piston single airplane. Again, where do you want to draw the line?

Leaving aside military and retired military pilots, I imagine there are not that many professional pilots flying that did not come up through Robinsons, and would not have gotten where they are if it were not for Robinsons. Not saying everyone, but most everyone.

P.S. I know I'm chewing old, very old, ground here, and beating the proverbial dead horse down another molecular layer or two , but maybe it's sometimes worth the review? If not, my apologies...