PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Pilot Retention
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2016, 16:12
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
I know several that have left the SH community because they're just worn out, or the family is disintegrating due to stress/prolonged separation and, for some, the spectre of PTSD.
I left the RAF in the early 1990s and the reasons you quoted were just as much an issue back then. The harder I worked to progress in pure aviation and gain more qualifications, the more I got screwed around by the system - whilst others had a relatively gilded and quiet life. I became little more than a flying "odd job man" on short postings and detachments. It soon became obvious that I was used to help ward off manning crises caused by poor man management elsewhere. The RAF asked me to remain on as "Spec Aircrew" till age 55 but I could see that another couple of years of never being at home I would no longer have a family to go home to.

The final nail in the coffin for me was shortly after "New Management Strategy" was introduced, at the same time as large cuts in overall funding. I had a couple of leave passes rejected by our Sqn boss without any explanation. The Sqn Budget officer (same rank as me, his secondary duty) told me that no more leave passes would be processed on the squadron because there was no more money in the pot for leave travel allowance!! I lost most of my leave that year and had not been in a position to take all of my entitlement for some years prior to that, due to "exigences of the service". It was particularly galling to watch others subsequently go on leave more than once, having put in all their leave passes early. Towards the end of that financial year I was ordered to report to the Boss's office (hat on no coffee), along with a couple of others in my position. He had been personally taken to task by the AOC during his annual inspection about some staff pilots not taking leave. I was required to explain why I had only taken one week off in the year..... he seemed to think it was suddenly our own fault.

I simply grew tired of having my head trodden on, left at my 38 point and now have been out longer than I was in. Never had one day's unemployment since, 22 years later.