PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tire change while boarding
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2016, 12:22
Piper19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a mechanic on all Boeing and Airbus types, I don't give delay instructions to loaders, cleaners, crew,... during wheel change. Sometimes the beacon is even on with the tow truck waiting when I'm still removing the jack and equipment.One jack can typically handle 50 tons, more than the average wheel axle on which you're replacing. I only tell pilots to not put on brake fans if installed (and pull CBs also of course).
Only limiting factors for me are nose wheels and a strong wind. I've seen more than often getting the nose wheel lifted off jack to be put down a few inches further.

For all the guys wondering about jack fail, I've had it happen before, no big deal, the bogie will go down again and the other wheels will take up the load. Things to consider however, is that the engineer will have to change the other wheels due to overload, and in the case of a nose wheel where both wheels are often replaced at the same time to avoid shimmy, never remove them at the same time just for the reason of possible jack fail.

Last edited by Piper19; 29th Oct 2016 at 12:35.