PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways flight diverted to YVR after passengers suffer smoke inhalation
Old 29th Oct 2016, 06:36
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BA simply needs to stop being so British.
You do know that BA is part of IAG, a large number of it's crew members don't live in the U.K. and/or aren't even UK nationals, and that the current BA CEO is Spanish don't you?

More seriously if people want to grumble about the way the passengers were handled I get it, I really do...most of those working for BA will empathise.

OTOH we have a hard core here who continually demand full answers now...scream that BA haven't released a report yet, therefore "it's a cover up" .." it's bound to be cover up" yadda yadda yadda......

The incident happened Monday night. If people are expecting the results of reports, investigations etc, to be published in the week of the incident I can only assume they haven't been around aviation for too long, if at all. IMHO BA's sensible holding position is it was an incident triggered by a perception of smoke/fumes "event"...because they know that for sure based on the initial reports from the crew.

FWIW it took two or three days to repatriate the aircraft and crew (after being checked in Canada), the aircraft was certainly checked again at LHR and it is possible, though I'm guessing, that BA may be waiting for the results of interviews and/or even medical reports on the crew.

Yeah well, findings that simply say "No mechanical issues were found and this is an internal company issue" is NOT acceptable. If the FAs lied, BA needs to tell us that. If it was a medical issue with one FA and she caused mass hysteria, then BA needs to tell us that too.
"NOT Acceptable" ah..ok..so what are BA meant to say if by chance this turns out to be along the lines of "No fault found, Awaiting further reports" (and fumes issues are often notoriously difficult to replicate, ask an engineer at any airline) but also that BA also think that the FA's acted in good faith and iaw with their training and iaw their manuals? What would be the "acceptable" course of action in that case? Blame/discipline somebody/anybody to satisfy the conspiracy theorists?

I know modern expectations are fuelled by the rush to publish something, anything, on twitter etc but as I think mentioned in an earlier post this isn't CSI, with the case solved within an hour.

Last edited by wiggy; 29th Oct 2016 at 09:18.