PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways flight diverted to YVR after passengers suffer smoke inhalation
Old 29th Oct 2016, 04:54
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
McGinty

Pardon my ignorance,
Err, I'll try, but the tone of the rest of the post doesn't make it easy.

I suspect we will never hear the reason for this diversion, and this is inexcusable from a safety viewpoint in my opinion.
Wrong.

A report was filed with the relevant national authorities, the aircraft was inspected both in YVR and again on return to LHR. The findings will be released in due course, but I"m guessing that still won't stop the conspiracy theorists or those who seem to have started revving up the outrage bus.

As a general point this sounds to me to be an high profile example of the sort of suspected smoke/fumes event that unfortunately happens and is reported around the world by airlines on a regular basis..handled as per checklist, which often includes advice over donning of oxygen masks and the possible need divert to nearest suitable airport..not automatically the closest one.

What's seems to have got the attention this time is it was a 380 and involved BA and was therefore particularly newsworthy. From what I've heard there's no indication it was industrially motivated, and as for why the cabin crew were deplaned first and they were it seems the only ones to need medical attention -you need to ask the Canadian medical authorities, that wouldn't have been a decision anyone at BA forced upon anybody.

Last edited by wiggy; 29th Oct 2016 at 05:23.