PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways flight diverted to YVR after passengers suffer smoke inhalation
Old 29th Oct 2016, 04:42
McGinty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no formal investigation?

Pardon my ignorance, but should not a formal investigation of this incident have been initiated by the relevant Canadian aviation authority? If a plane that was supposed to overfly one's country lands and then deposits 25 crew members in the Emergency Department of the local hospital, then does this not constitute an incident that should have been investigated? Why was the plane itself allowed to leave Canada without some kind of investigative inspection designed to alert other A380 operators of some kind of hazard that could apply to all 380s?

What kind of gobbledy-gook did BA tell to Canadian authorities so as to duck this kind of inspection?

If this were a third world plane (Bangladesh? Eithiopia?) would the captain and the company have gotten away with whatever excuse was offered to Canadian authorities?

I suspect we will never hear the reason for this diversion, and this is inexcusable from a safety viewpoint in my opinion.