PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cockpit Security - Doors
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2001, 03:57
Max Angle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no doubt that the locked (modified or not) cockpit door is on the way for all airliners that have doors. Our lot have now said that only flight crew and cabin crew are to have access to the flightdeck from doors closed to doors open and I can't see it ever changing back. It seems trivial to mention in the light of so much carnage but it is shame that we will no longer be able to invite the wide eyed air cadet in row 5 up the front for landing.

There are several threads running about new doors and changing the internal config. to have a door to the flightdeck outside the pax. cabin so the crew are sealed in etc. It seems to me that the measure that is going to make the biggest difference is a trained, and armed security officer on EVERY flight. The airlines will moan that it will be too expensive but many operators already employ far more cabin crew than they need simply to provide in-flight service which would seem to be far less important. We often carry 8 crew on an A321, 3 more than the legal minimum so it is only a matter of airlines changing their views on what is really important. El Al have been doing it for years and I think it is time for others to follow, I am sure that the U.S. will go down this route.

It has been a truly dark few days for the world and I feel sick to my stomach that the thing that I love being involved in so much and that has given me so much pleasure has been used to such horrific effect. RIP

[ 14 September 2001: Message edited by: Max Angle ]