PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2016, 20:14
Danny42C

Justin (#9618),
...Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Paul is sporting an RAF cap and Pilot Officer's shoulder insignia. I can also just about make out the top of a badge on his left breast. Although maybe I'm imagining it...
Well spotted - it's very hard to see. It and the cap and braid would almost certainly be sourced from RCAF in Canada.
...Do you recall the appearance of your American wings? Were they standard issue?...
Yes, reputably made in "dollar silver". Google for a picture of Army Air Corps pilot's wings (still got 'em, they're in the form of a brooch). We (March, '42) had no RAF uniform, a Colonel Haddon pinned mine on my scruffy flight overalls.
...Am I correct in thinking, that you didn't get your RAF wings until you got to Moncton?...
Yes - we travelled up from Alabama wearing (in my case) the chalk-striped grey suit in which I'd travelled down the previous September (the US was still supposed to be "neutral", so we had to pretend to be "civilians").
...The other photo was posted from Albany on 23 June 1942. He had written the caption 'All set for a high altitude flight'...
The American oxygen mask included a rebreathing rubber bag. That is what this comedian has blown up. Anyone who can remember the dentists of that era will remember the idea.

G'night !

Danny.