PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Far East Mosquito
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2016, 18:16
jerryh99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again all,
Where did 4 years go?
Arthur was indeed with 110 (H) Squadron, his first sortie with them being in Sept 1944 flying in Vengeances from Kalyan. No operations, though it looks as though he might have expected some as there is a box for them in the logs summary pages. Some sorties in Oxfords, pilot usually F/S Hermolin. Squadron C/O was W/Cdr A.E.Saunders, O/C B. Flight S/Ldr. Vael. He had his first Mosquito sortie in Nov 1944 with F/L Wigmore from Kolar, then to Yelahanka (now in A flight, O/C S/Ldr I A Sutherland) for more Vengeance flying with F/Sgt Neate and another Mosquito sortie with F/Lt Lucas. Thence to 1672 Conversion Unit, also Yelahanka March 1945. Oxfords and Mosquitos all with F/O (soon F/Lt) Wardrop, and he flew with no one else until he left 110 (H) so I guess there was a crewing up process. Then back to 110 (H) 4/6/45 for operations. His log for June/July was signed by S/Ldr Shepherd O/C A flight for W/Cdr O/C. Sadly both Saunders and Sutherland had been lost. He flew his last op 11/7/45.
So that's the bones of it for now, conscious of the need not to go on for too long. I know a little of Saunders and Sutherland, Saunders especially was quite well known - anyone know what his O.B.E was for? But of course I would love to know a bit about his pilot, F/Lt Wardrop. I know nothing at all about him, except that from the log he certainly seems to have been a "press on" type! I formed a feeling a while ago that he might have been a Canadian, but can't remember why or find any evidence now.
Any info gratefully received, likewise if anyone wants any detail from the log just ask.
Wasn't sure if to post here or on "Pilots Brevet", but opted here as its quite a specific subject. However, Hello Danny if you read this! I know this was all after your time with 110 (H) but thanks for a couple of your posts in particular which told me a little about S/Ldr Sutherland.
That's all for now, thanks for reading.

Jerry.