PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bellman Hangars
Thread: Bellman Hangars
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2016, 12:55
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
re Camden hangars. I worked there in 1948 as a 16 year old helping to load newspapers and lay out kerosene flares for the early morning departures of the Sydney Morning Herald Flying Services Lockheed Hudson and DC3 freighters. I recall one of those hangars had a Vultee Vengeance and I think an ME 109 (Luftwaffe fighter) in storage in that hangar.

Haven't a clue what type of hangars were there. In the main Herald Flying Services hangar which had a smaller hangar built on to it, there was a dreadful accident (1950?) when the pilot of the DC3 taxied slowly into the main hangar then swung around on one wheel 180 degrees to park facing outwards towards the tarmac.

He stopped the DC3 and cut the engines. An elderly cleaner called Tony (Pinner or Pinter?) who was always rushing everywhere ran under the wing of the DC3 to place chocks under the main wheels. He must have misjudged his position and either stumbled or ran into the arc of a slowing down propeller. That was the ever so sad end of poor old Tony, a lovely old bloke so keen and enthusiastic for his age. He should have waited for the propellers of the DC3 to stop before inserting the big chocks.

But as I said he was always rushing around doing his various chores in the hangar.