PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2016, 12:17
JustinL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Danny,

It is a privilege to be corresponding with a chap who experienced the horror (and comradery) of war first hand.

I will endeavour to 'wade' through your story, as I am certain it mirrored Paul's experience.

Following a very lively exchange of emails yesterday evening, I have gathered a few more facts about Paul and his 'friend' Beth.

After the death of her mother in 1936, Beth and her father had moved to Birmingham. Her father's job (electrical engineer) meant he was working away from home more and more, so Beth was enrolled in the Misses Howard School for Girls in Birmingham.

She and Paul met at a party. That party, as you suggested, was probably organised by the school to meet the 'Galllant Allies'.

In his later letters, Paul reminisced about taking the 5am bus from Montgomery to Birmingham.

Anyway, getting back to serious business of flight training. The photo below on the left was taken at Pensacola Beach, FL on 6th Sep. 1942. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Paul is sporting an RAF cap and Pilot Officer's shoulder insignia. I can also just about make out the top of a badge on his left breast. Although maybe I'm imagining it.

Do you recall the appearance of your American wings? Were they standard issue?

Am I correct in thinking, that you didn't get your RAF wings until you got to Moncton?

The other photo was posted from Albany on 23 June 1942. He had written the caption 'All set for a high altitude flight'.

Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1942 06 23 Paul at Albany 1.jpg (667.1 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by JustinL; 28th Oct 2016 at 16:41.