PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The MS Windows 10 upgrade experience thread.
Old 27th Oct 2016, 14:09
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
It really is an investment in time to get everything working again and now that one can not just plonk in a spare drive, I'm starting to think the small sum for a second PC is probably worth it. I was going to offload the i5 dual core once the quad was commissioned, but not now. It can just come out for updating and backups. I'm not sure if a laptop would qualify for this job as they are A/ More valuable by far. B/Not as fixable. C/Not possible to fit a huge ('Red' for example) drive for backup. I know little about long-life 2.5" drives.

Yes, I was surprised one needed cortana for Windows to function so not possible to zap it altogether. I do turn everything off however, which happily leaves the box for searching. It seems possible to turn any item back on if needed.

I've created a restore point called 'Microsoft Edge only' which is also auto-dated and timed. Next one will hopefully be 'Firefox and Office' etc., etc.

But still I'm risking everything on one drive - fast as it is. (25 seconds from pressing the power button to active desktop.) I know they meld Apps with the OS but while having the full un-installed copy on another partition buys some insurance, there's nothing like having a separate boot drive which can also back up top priority files. One remote drive as well and One can start to breath easy.